Saturday, September 27, 2008

Funnies

Our children bring such joy to our lives. Sometimes I don't know what the heck we did for entertainment before they came along! Allow me to share the funniest things from the last couple of days with the kids. And by the way, these are probably more "had to be there" moments than "laugh out loud while sitting at your computer" moments, but allow me to tell you how awesome I think my kids are.

Regan has discovered a new art form: fake crying. She doesn't do it to be deceptive or get out of trouble, but more when she wants something. Today she determined that she did not need to lay down for a nap when I thought she did. We were sitting on the chair reading her two books, and she turned on the fake tears. Knowing full well that she was fake crying, I started chuckling. My chuckling led Regan to start laughing... while still fake crying. I can't really explain it other than tears were rolling down her cheeks, but she had a huge grin and was laughing. Oh my goodness, it was the funniest thing. I laughed so hard my cheeks hurt and the more I laughed, the more she laughed. And when I would stop, she would turn on the fake tears again and start the whole process over. I'll try to capture it on video sometime because it really is hilarious.

I just love how easily Regan laughs at things and how she also loves to make people laugh. She's definitely got a great sense of humor.

Moving on to Grant...

Grant is still waking up at night. Every night. Every 2 - 2 1/2 hours, every night. Sympathy is welcome, unsolicited advice... not so much.

Now, my child is 6 months old. He should be well past the stage of needing to nurse every 2 hours at night. But for some reason he has determined that this is a good mother/son bonding time and that he would like to continue to see me in the middle of every night. And because I'm one of "those" mothers, I immediately pop out of bed and rush into his room at the first sign of a whimper.

Here's where it gets funny. Grant isn't really awake when he wakes up and he's just kind of crying out more than crying. So when I pick him up and he recognizes that it's me (you mothers out there know what I mean by that) he starts this little yelp. It's kind of a mixture of annoyance, relief, tiredness and anger all rolled into one. It's almost like he's making a statement that he wishes I would be in his room, ready to nurse him the second he wakes up and since I wasn't, he's going to complain about it.

I know you have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's so funny for me to think about that I'm sitting here laughing. Anyway, not only does he yelp until I start to nurse him, he also bends himself over in half trying to beat me to the punch of getting ready to nurse. Oh my goodness, it's hilarious. And it's likely one of the reasons I'm not [too] upset about having to get up with him 3 or 4 times at night... it's cheap entertainment! :)

I realize that neither of those stories seem that funny to the vast majority of you, but it's just one of the reasons I thank God that he gave me the two children he did. They're such a blessing and a joy and we have so much fun with them.

No comments: